Extracts from Home Notes/Girl Guide Gazette/The Guider
January 1915 - Should Rosebuds be given a different name? Suggestions of "Skylarks, Bantams, Wrens, or what?" Answers on a postcard by Feb 6, 1915
March 1915 - Red cross must not be worn on haversacks
April 1915 - Bands should play only within company premises, not in parades. Recommendation that string bands are more womanly and useful for concerts.
April 1915 - War service badge introduced - 21 days' suitable service or 15 garments made (to include specified items)
May 1915 - Guides are not to take part in recruitment parades, or street collections.
June 1915 - New constitution - no longer require to use BP initials to distinguish from other, similar groups.
June 1915 - "Rosebuds or Brownies" - leaflet to issue. For girls under 11, with eight to form a unit under a leader, the head of two units to be company leader, and to be aged 17 or over. Brownie brooch to be a metal acorn brooch bearing the letter B. Uniform to be brown overall, skirt & jersey or Holland blouse, brown belt, brown shoes and stockings, brown hair ribbon, hat trimmed with brown. Testwork being drafted.
July 1915 - Creation of headquarters committee, per charter.
August 1915 - Officers' Training Camp near Boxmoor, Herts. Topics to be covered include hay-box cookery, laundrywork, signalling, night marching, pathfinding, tracking, map sketching, invalid camp cookery, herbs, rifle/airgun sheeting, campfire yarns, bridge building.
August 1915 - "At recent rallies there were several noticeable discrepancies in uniform marring the effect. We have to remind Captains that only the official uniform is admissable for Girl Guides, and any departure from the regulation navy hat, navy blouse and sky-blue tie is not permitted".
October 1915 - A training school has been founded by Mrs Blyth. £9 for 3 months' live-in training, six weeks in town and six weeks in country.
October 1915 - The Commissioner's uniform (optional) consists of shirt blouse, pale blue tie, regulation skirt with 2 pockets, regulation coat with 4 pockets, whistle cord on right shoulder to pocket, ordinary officer's brown belt, commissioner's silver cords on left lapel and shoulder with badge, soft leather gauntlet gloves.
November 1915 - Launch of Nurse Cavell Badge
December 1915 - Brownie scheme announced. Uniform: brown overall and belt, brown hair ribbon, rush or felt cap or hat trimmed with brown, with green leaf of Patrol on left side of hat, or - dark blue Guide blouse, dark blue skirt or tunic overblouse, brown belt or brown braid sash. Brown tie & hair ribbon. Badge: Acorn badge on tape. Tests: Entrance, 2nd class (acorn badge on tape with leaves), 1st class (acorn badge on tape with leaves and motto),
Brownies are 11 years and under. Six or eight Brownies to form a Patrol and assume the name of a British tree, under the Patrol leadership of a head girl, who should, where possible, be a selected and efficient Girl Guide. The head of a company consisting of not less than two Patrols shall be called a Company Leader and shall be at least 17 years of age. The company must be registered at Headquarters. A Brownie shall not pay for her own badge, she must return it to her company leader on leaving the Company,
January 1916 - Appointment of first County Commissioners.
January 1916 - New Proficiency badges - Astronomer, Handywoman, Geologist, Surveyor, Friend to Animals, Knitter, Basket-Worker, Beefarmer.
February 1916 - Hut Fund Appeal, to buy a rest hut for soldiers on the Western Front in France/Belgium
February 1916 - Badge positions for Guides - Tenderfoot on loose ends of tie only, 1st and 2nd class on left arm halfway between elbow and shoulder strap so as not to be covered by shoulder knot, Ambulance, Sick Nurse, Child Nurse just below, and Red Cross armlet below that. All other proficiency badges on Right sleeve, cuff upwards. War service badge above right pocket, Service Stars on left pocket flap, in a row.
April 1916 - First membership census published.
April 1916 - Officers Training School East End branch starts.
May 1916 - Rest Hut presented.
May 1916 - Officers' dress confirmed as: Girl Guide hat turned up on left side. Blue Norfolk jacket, black horn buttons, pockets, Girl Guide ordinary blue uniform and blue tie with officers rank badge. Brown leather belt, white shoulder knot, gauntlet gloves (brass buttons forbidden).
June 1916 - 3rd Bath Company given the title "Heather's Own/" after the newly-born child of Lord and Lady Baden-Powell, for having the best achievement record submitted.
July 1916 - Official book of rules for Girl Guides goes on sale.
July 1916 - a second rest hut bought.
July 1916 - New syllabuses for 2nd and 1st Class
August 1916 - Guiding structure diagram published
September 1916 - First Girl Guide movie filmed.
October 1916 - Commissioners Conference held in Matlock
November 1916 - fire at headquarters, significant damage to stocks of Guide uniforms/equipment,
November 1916 - first annual report of the Girl Guide Association
November 1916 - Lady Baden-Powell appointed Chief Commissioner
November 1916 - Thrift badge adopted.
November 1916 - First Annual Report of the Officers' Training School. 142 members in 15 Patrols.
January 1917 - The following badges of rank agreed: Chief Commissioner - Gold cockade & cords. County Commissioner - gold/silver cords, silver hat cord. District Commissioner - Silver cord & badge, Assistant District Commissioner - saxe blue cockade & cords. Staff or District Captain - red cockade. Badge of rank for Captain - dark blue cockade at side of hat. Lieutenant - Tenderfoot badge at side of hat. Instructor - Instructor badge. Patrol Leader - Tenderfoot badge on front of hat and two vertical stripes on left pocket instead of chevrons. Corporal - one stripe on pocket.
January 1917 - Guide uniform - smock authorised as alternative to uniform, termed 'Drill Uniform'. Parade uniform as at present, with extra length to body so as to go outside skirt, when desired, for physical exercise, etc.
February 1917 - Corporal now to be Second.
February 1917 - Officer's brooch to be worn on knot of tie, and tenderfoot to keep ends down neatly (no longer worn on hat as superceded by cockade for Captains. Cocks feathers not work on hats.
February 1917 - District Commissioner to now be known as Division Commissioner, and Assistant District Commissioner to be known as District Commissioner.
February 1917 - Headquarters to sell a strong washable dark blue overall for Guides due to the prohibitive price of serge.
March 1917 - New badges - Poultry Farming, Musician, Thrift, Motorist, Textile Worker syllabuses released.
March 1917 - War Service Badge now covers voluntary service only, and to be 100 hours' service not 63.
March 1917 - Announcement of Senior Guides for girls aged 16+, same badge tests as Guide but Senior proficiency badges grouped according to professions. Suggestions sought . . .
March 1917 - Headquarters Committees established, consisting of Chairman Robert Baden-Powell, President Miss Baden-Powell (has not executive duties but is ex-officio member of Headquarters committee), 9 committee members each with specific responsibilities.
March 1917 - District Captains to wear white cockade. Clarification that Lieutenant to wear tenderfoot badge at side of hat and Lieutenant badge on tie, Patrol Leader to wear Tenderfoot badge on front of hat and to fasten tie, two stripes on left pocket, not chevrons.
April 1917 - New Badges - Domestic Service, Cook, First Class Cook.
April 1917 - Suggestion of "Guiders", rather than "Officers"
April 1917 - Officer's training corps now Cadet Corps, for age 16+
June 1917 - changes to Brownie terminology - now "Sixes", not Patrols, and Six names to be Fairy folk, not trees.
August 1917 - white book of rules supercedes pink.
January 1918 - Joint Guide/Scout activities may be permitted on application to Local Association provided their Committee is satisfied re supervision.
January 1918 - Cadet Leaving Certificates to be awarded by Cadet Captains.
January 1918 - Brownies allowed to wear metal service stars on a brown ground, and Senior Guides on red. No Senior badges to be worn by juniors.
January 1918 - Girl Guide motor-ambulance presented.
January 1918 - New handbook "Girl Guiding".
February 1918 - suggestion made that, as proficiency badges get dirty, there may be a preference for them to be made on a 'drab ground' - opinions sought.
February 1918 - new book of rules - alterations listed. This included:
Secretaries' distinguishing marks: County Secretary, red cockade in hat, and badge with red pens. Division Secretary, white cockade in hat and badge with white pens. District Secretary, no cockade, badge with white pens.
Guider's Uniform: skirt - navy blue, not less than 8 ins. off the ground. Shirt - navy blue. Knickers - navy blue. Coat - navy blue Norfolk with patch pockets and black bone buttons. Tie - light blue or Company colour. Hat - navy blue felt, turned up on the left side with badge according to rank. (long or fancy hatpins should not be worn). Belt - worn over coat. Shoulder Knot - white on left shoulder. Whistle - on white lanyard, worn around the neck and attached to belt on right side.
Undress Uniform: in hot weather a navy blue tunic is authorised uniform for all Guiders.
Guiders Distinguishing Marks: Captain - navy blue cockade, and green badge brooch worn just below the knot of the tie. Lieutenant - Tenderfoot brooch on left of hat and gilt badge brooch worn just below the knot of the tie. Brown Owl - brown cockade, brown tie, Lieutenant's badge.
March 1918 - Senior Guide Test (2nd Class equivalent) published.
May 1918 - What British Guides have been doing in World War 1 - Messengers at War Office, Foreign Office etc, typists/secretaries, spinning, weaving, and preparing khaki cloth, winding for aviators and other aeroplane work, and making glass tubes. Submarine and bomb net making, electric gauging, making fuses for switchboards for warships, assembling parts for electric railway equipment etc, undertaking leather work and making sheepskin coats, employed in factories involved in mica-splitting for respirators, making glass ampoules for anti-tetanus serum, printing army and navy literature, post office telegraphists and censors, serving in VAD and other hospitals as orderlies, pantry maids, ward maids, scullery maids, messengers, laundresses, assistant quartermasters, cooks and secretaries, picking sphagnum moss for dressings, collecting eggs for hospitals, making surgical dressings and bandages, preparing and serving teas at hospitals, splint making, making sandbags, making clothes for the forces, collecting newspapers and making scrapbooks for rest huts, entertaining, making munitions and munition boxes.
May 1918 - Silver Fish altered - no longer based on proficiency badges.
June 1918 - dark blue drill hats permitted (owing to felt shortage).
July 1918 - new uniform jumper (i.e. overshirt) in navy blue jean, worn over skirt.
July 1918 - Hat ribbon for Officers who have gained diplomas - red ribbon with brown OTS badge to be worn round hat.
October 1918 - Golden Fish awarded to Olave Baden-Powell
October 1918 - Mrs Blyth resigns as GOTS Commandant.
October 1918 - GOTS closed down, new Guiders Training School set up under Miss Maynard.
November 1918 - Gold Cord test introduced.
November 1918 - Metal Brown Owl badges produced.
January 1919 - Existing Chief's Diploma to become Distinction Diploma. A further award called the Chief's Diploma to be given by the Chief herself to Distinction Diploma holders for special work done for the movement.
January 1919 - New Senior Guide tenderfoot badge available. (Original ones may be worn if preferred).
January 1919 - suggestion that every Brownie pack should have a totem (toadstool) - can be made from an umbrella.
February 1919 - Distinguising marks - Distinction Diploma-red cord round hat. First Class Diploma-blue cord round hat.
February 1919 - new Senior Guide proficiency badges - Bookbinder, Booklover, Botanist, Leatherworker. Clerk to be a Junior badge.
March 1919 - 1919 edition of POR has just been published.
March 1919 - an International Council is being formed.
April 1919 - The following badges to move from annual re-testing to biennial - Ambulance, Sick Nurse, Signaller, Interpreter, Pathfinder, First Aider, Probationer, 1st Class Signaller.
April 1919 - 1918 Annual Report published.
April 1919 - Lone Guides reorganisation with Branch A now for ages 11-20, Branch B for ages 20+
April 1919 - Guiders Indemnity Insurance announced
July 1919 - New Badges - County Examiners-red crossed pens, Division/District-White crossed pens, Brownie Secretaries-brown crossed pens.
July 1919 - name ideas for Senior Guides sought.
August 1919 - Cloth Brownie recruit badge is withdrawn. Metal badge to be worn on tie.
November 1919 - "Neckerchiefs must now be worn folded into a narrow bandage, under the collar, and not under the shoulder straps. Thus no point can be shown."
December 1919 - "The ends of the Guide neckerchief should hang down (if she has done her good turn for the day and can undo the second knot) and are kept in place by the Tenderfoot badge."
May 1920 - Swanwick Conference decisions - Proficiency badges to have dark background, not white. Haversacks to be navy, not white. 5 year star to be small, and bronze.
June 1920 - first suggestions of "Ranger" name.
June 1920 - merging of Scribe and Clerk badges
August 1920 - proposals for Sea Guides
September 1920 - Ties may now be of any plain colour - and parti-coloured may be worn if all the plain colours have been exhausted.
October 1920 - Senior Guides to now be Rangers.
June 1926 - All flags are to be dipped in the presence of any member of the Royal family.
June 1926 - special Lone unit for over 16's founded.
November 1926 - Companies in homes and orphanages no longer part of the Extension branch.
December 1926 - BBC (radio) offering a programme, 15 minutes per month, 6.45pm on 3rd Thursday per month from 20 January.
February 1927 - First marking of Thinking day
February 1927 - Ideas sought for a second Scottish Six Emblem besides Kelpie
February 1927 - announcement of first official Guide annual - "The First Trail of the Girl Guides".
April 1927 - Announcement of new Mauve First Class for Extension Guides
May 1927 - Announcement of negotiations into a permanent North of England training centre at Waddow Hall, Clitheroe (opened September 1927)
May 1927 - Mauve 1st Class holders may qualify for Mauve Cords
June 1927 - Opening of Foxlease swimming pool
June 1927 - the 'Official Badge' logo cannot be used by members on notepaper, posters etc - only Imperial Headquarters may use it.
October 1927 - discussion of whether to alter the Six emblems.
October 1927 - decision to merge Sea Guides and Cadets into the Ranger branch, and have them pass the Ranger Tenderfoot Test. Ranger units who wished could become Cadet Ranger Companies, or Sea Ranger Crews. Cadet Ranger Test and Sea Ranger Test introduced, also Ranger Star, Cadet Star and Sea Service Star..
October 1927 - new Spinner badge design - distaff/spindle.
October 1927 - Ranger Ash and Pine emblems introduced.
December 1927 - Entertainer test deleted
January 1928 - Sea Guide tally band to now be embroidered with a blue trefoil, likewise the Ranger, red.
January 1928 - "Girl Guide Gazette" to become "The Guider"
January 1928 - Chorister badge to be renamed Singer.
March 1928 - new design for Badge of Fortitude.
March 1928 - Guide annual "The Second Trail of the Girl Guides" to be published.
June 1928 - Girl Guide Badges and How to Win Them renamed Hints on Girl Guide Badges.
August 1928 - Shoes, brown stockings or socks added to Brownie uniform.
August 1928 - Brownie 3rd year star introduced which can be transferred to Guide uniform.
August 1928 - Old design for Sea Service Badge to be retained, for Sea Ranger Star, and when stocks of Leading Sea Guide badges are exhausted, Ranger Instructor Badge to be used in it's place.
August 1928 - Brownie Signaller Badge to show semaphore flags rather than morse, when current stocks used up.
20 March 1931 - official opening of Imperial Headquarters.
April 1931 - Airwoman badge introduced
October 1931 - "The new woven badges are guaranteed fadeless and washable. Therefore, if they are carefully buttonholed on to the overall sleeve when new they need not be removed when the garment is washed. There should then be no difficulty with regard to the badges fraying.
November 1931 - 'Postponement of the Coming-Of-Age celebrations' - planned international rally cancelled, suggestion of local rallies instead.
December 1931 - Senior and Junior Milliner badges to be withdrawn. World Knowledge (Guide) to replace International Knowledge, World Knowledge (Ranger) introduced. World Interpreter (Guide to replace Interpreter.
January 1932 - Badge of Fortitude to be for ages 16 and under only, Certificate of Merit will replace Badge of Fortitude for those aged 16 and over.
March 1932 - New Brownie badges - Booklover, Writer, Toymaker. First Class - now Brownie Wings will only be awarded if First Class is gained before the age of 11.
March 1932 - Patrols of Guides over 14 can be registered as Sea Guides and wear that tally band - these Patrols preferable to be attached to Ranger or Sea Ranger Companies.
March 1932 - Cords and Lanyards rules changed. The wearing of Gold Lanyards by Guiders to be abolished, but they may continue to wear Gold Cords if they have won them as Guides. All Round Lanyards may be awarded as at present on a teaching basis. Only Cords won as Guides may be worn as Guiders. Warranted Guiders may not enter for Gold Cords or All Round Cords.
April 1932 - Sportswoman badge design changed to a netball. World Citizen design now to be a key between two hemispheres.
23-29 May 1932 to be "Guide Week". 29 May 1932 - "Guide Sunday" to celebrate Coming-Of-Age
22-29 June 1932 - 'Veterans Camp' held in Staffordshire, open to all pre-1920 Guiders.
August 1932 - Official blue camp overall for Guiders, Rangers and Guides, with short or long sleeve, now available from HQ; also a camp hat. 'In the case of Guiders, Rangers and Guides of Ranger age and size, skirts should cover the knee, and as a general rule, stockings should be worn when going through a village or town, except in exceptional circumstances such as going to the beach. Guiders need not take full uniform (tunic and skirt) to camp provide that they have a really tidy, clean, camp overall, hat, blazer and mackintosh (navy blue)'.
January 1933 - launch of fundraising on Thinking Day
June 1933 - Confirmation that the blue cotton overall can be worn throughout summer, not just at camp. It can be worn with the collar closed by the tie or open-neck - in which case the Tenderfoot Badge is worn in the 'V' of the neck. Camp hat can also be considered uniform.
August 1933 - Brown gloves removed from Guide uniform rules.
April 1934 - new Brownie summer uniform - short sleeve with V-neck which can be worn with or without tie, also brown camp hat to join the rush hat or knitted camp.
May 1934 - subject to Commissioner permission, stockings need not be worn by Guides attending Company meetings during the hot weather.
November 1934 - Lone Tenderfoot Badge to be abolished when existing stocks are exhausted.
December 1934 - Dairymaid badge renamed Dairyworker, Ranger Milkmaid renamed Dairymaid. Landworker to be renamed Farmworker. New badge introduced for Guide and Ranger sections - Interpreter To The Deaf.
December 1936 - New style Ranger felt hat introduced.
December 1936 - Sea Ranger Captain Navy Warrant Badge introduced.
December 1936 - Sea Ranger Test becomes Able Sea Ranger Test.
April 1937 - New numbered Service Stars announced:
Brownie (brown background) - issued from 2-3 years
Guide (green background) - issued from 2-5 years
Ranger (red background) - issued from 2-10 years
Sea Ranger (blue background) - issued from 2-10 years
Guider (no background) - issued from 2-25 years.
(One year Service Stars as before, with no number, in order to use up existing stocks.)
December 1938 - an Old Guide who has been previously Warranted as Commissioner, Secretary or Guider may wear an Old Guide Cockade in uniform, which is navy blue with a green and a red stripe, like the Old Guide tie.
December 1938 - Old Guide Recorders will be Warranted and wear the appropriate level Secretary badge.
December 1938 - Guide History Lover badge launched
May 1939 - Mrs St John Atkinson to replace Mrs Percy Birley (resigned) as Chief Commissioner in October, Mrs Birley has agreed to continue in post until then.
November 1939 - Guide uniform may be worn when doing National Service.
November 1939 - Use of Guide whistles for any other than ARP use forbidden in some parts of the country.
November 1939 - Girls Life Brigade members may attend Guide meetings as guests, in GLB uniform.
September 1940 - opening of Our Home/Notre Foyer - rooms in the World Bureau for Guides from abroad temporarily resident in the UK.
January 1945 - Acquisition of Netherurd as Scottish Guider Training School
January 1945 - Post-War Ranger proposals published.
January 1945 - as an alternative to the present shape of Guide standards, a small square banner, more comparable in size and shape to a regimental flag, will be permitted.
March 1945 - Homecraft Training Centre at Pax Hill announced.
March 1945 - Sea Rangers must cease carrying the Red Ensign out-of-doors or hoisting it in camp.
February 1963 - POR updates - Brownie Skater, and World Brownies proficiency badges introduced. Guide Agility and Weatherman proficiency badges introduced; Keep Fit badge withdrawn.
July 1963 - International Knowledge proficiency badge for Guides withdrawn. World Friendship proficiency badge introduced. New Ranger Skin Diver certificate introduced.
November 1963 - Our Ark renamed Olave House.
December 1963 - Minstrel proficiency badge for Brownies withdrawn, and Musician and Singer badges introduced.
July 1964 - new Brownie proficiency badges introduced - Hostess, and Safety in the Home. Service Flash badge introduced for Guides, also Local History proficiency badge. New Skier certificate for Rangers also introduced.
14 October 1966 - official opening of Sangam.
December 1966 - rationalisation of Good Service awards - Oak Leaf, Laurel Leaf and Beaver awards discontinued and replaced by Laurel Award. Silver Fish award and Good Service award retained.
March 1967 - Tests during the programme transition period. Testing for all Brownie and Guide tests should end on 31 January 1968, with the exception of Queen's Guide tests, which may be tested up to 30 April 1968. For those who may not be able to complete their current test by the end of the year:
Brownies - Brownies part-way through Golden Bar at that date may receive the badge and embroider a coloured line under the bar to denote 3, 6 or 9 clauses passed (green-3, red-6, blue-9). Brownies part-way through Golden Ladder may embroider the colours around the top bar. Brownies who have gained Golden Ladder but are unlikely to complete the Golden Hand by the end of January 1968 will be able to take Proficiency Badges.
Guides - Guides part-way through Second Class at the time may receive the badge and embroider a coloured line on it under the word 'Guides' to denote 3, 6 or 9 clauses passed. (green-3, red-6, blue-9). Guides who have completed Second Class but are unlikely to complete the First Class Badge by the end of January 1968 can try to pass 6 clauses of First Class, and then embroider a red edge to Second Class Badge, as they do know, or they can take Proficiency Badges.
Rangers - A girl joining a unit in September 1967 may be given the choice of either working for certificates and waiting until 1968 before starting on the new Ranger Investiture Challenge, or, Complete the present tests for investiture before 31 January 1968.
May 1967 - Rationalisation of residential qualifications. Now Camper's Licence, Pack Holiday Permit, Holiday Permit, Ranger Camp Permit and Patrol Camp Permit, plus Camp First Aid Certificate, and QM Certificate.
July 1967 - New insignia for Trainers. Silver to denote Diploma'd, Bronze to denote Certificated, Gold to denote Specialised Trainer. Those who have held a Diploma but are no longer using it wear Oxidised Silver insignia.
January 1968 - dates for implementation of programme changes. New age groups - optional from 1967, obligatory on 18 March 1968. Eight point programme comes into use 18 March 1968. Changes in Brownie ceremonies and Six names - 18 March 1968. Lone enrollment badge discontinued - 1 January 1968.
4 March 1968 - new Guiding handbooks issued nationwide.
May 1968 - the following badges were obsolete after 18th March: Brownie Guides - Golden Bar, Golden Hand, Brownie Wings, Brownie Gold Star on blue background. Guides: 2nd Class, 1st Class metal, 1st Class cloth, All-round Cord Strips, Guide Service Star white on blue background. (Queen's Guide metal and cloth badges valid until 30 April). Ranger: Land Ranger Test, Land Ranger Maintenance, Land Ranger Adventure, OSR Test, ASR Test, LSR Test, LAR Test, Air Service Bar, Child Service Bar, Community Service Bar, Coast and River Service Bar, Home Service Bar, Nursing Service Bar, Outdoor Service Bar, World Service Bar.
December 1969 - Guide mini neckerchief replaced by cross-over tie. Instructions for converting mini necker into tie given.
March 1976 - Upper age limit of 65 to be introduced for all uniformed appointments, to be phased in by July 1977.
26 September 1977 - Memorial Service for Olave Baden-Powell.
September 1982 - Changes to Long Service Awards - "from 1 September 1982, long service of both 15 years' and 25 years' duration, as defined in POR 19.B, may be indicated by the wearing of a Long Service Bar if the Guider concerned so wishes."